Polypropylene sheet is a flexible and beneficial engineering plastic with a wide variety of uses within different industries. It has replaced many other materials and creates improved performance and cost reduction for most component manufacturers. Producers create plastics that are slightly oversize in thickness or diameter. The oversize tolerance is designed to help clients to produce accurate items with the right size and remove any small flaws.
There are two grades of polypropylene materials. They include photopolymer which is a harder and more rigid grade and is available in beige and natural colour. It is available in many sizes. The copolymer is more flexible and malleable with low-temperature impact performance. It is available in many colours.
Advantages of using Polypropylene Sheets
1. It is economical and has equal performance of other materials at a much lower rate,
2. The material is light-weight and with a density of only 0.91gcm3. The plastic can float and help in handling of large components,
3. It is almost impossible for this material to bond with current adhesives although in the future this could be possible. Therefore, the material can be welded with simple welding tool and rod.
4. It has very low moisture absorption at 0.03 which can improve and component and product stability; it helps with bacterial resistance.
5. It is easier to reshape and form a PP Sheet which makes it possible for the material to be used in the fabrication sector. It produces high-quality items that are used in many industries including automotive.
6. The material has good chemical and acid resistance that helps in the production of chemical and acid tanks and acid resistant seals.
Applications for Polypropylene Sheet
• The item is used for lining or complete manufacture of chemical and acid tanks,
• PP Sheet is applied in swimming pools due to its chlorine and water resistance abilities. Also, it is resistant to acids. Hence used in battery boxes.
• Sometimes it is used as chopping boards within the packing sector as it aids when sharpened cutters permeate the cardboard and acts as a substrate for the cutters edge,
• It is used within rooms for cladding walls and creating a lasting barrier that is both resistant and tough to strong cleaning fluids,
• It is known for its many uses within the prosthetic field since it can be heated and moulded to a good shape to enable leg, foot or any other limb support to be produced accurately.
Manufacturing Procedures for These Materials
The item is produced in two distinct ways namely: extruded sheet and pressed. Pressed process involves planning the material while extruded involved heating polymer to melting point through dies or rollers to produce accurate sheets. Pressed items are quite costly, although the process does not involve the stress involved in extrusion. It produces a material that is more stable, and the machines have intricate components that remain more accurate due to less internal stress.
In conclusion, PP Sheet is a low-weight material which offers considerable resistance to impact acid or chemical attack. It has less moisture absorption and can be used for food applications. Moreover, it provides excellent electrical insulation and resists cracking, but it is not hard to bond.